From 1 July 2021, approved providers have updated and specific responsibilities under the Aged Care Act 1997 and the Quality of Care Principles 2014 relating to the use of any restrictive practice in residential aged care and short-term restorative care in a residential care setting.
Information on these changes is available at Minimising the use of restrictive practices.
We are updating and developing resources to support consumers, their representatives, and providers with these changes.
- Restrictive practices – behaviour support planning webinar – 23 August 2021
- Restrictive practices webinar – 13 July 2021
Download the Consent for medication in aged care – fact sheet
Medication. It's your choice
We partnered with the Older Persons Advocacy Network (OPAN) to develop Medication. It’s your choice to raise awareness of the issues relating to psychotropic medicines. And to help consumers and their representatives understand and confidently perform their role as active participants in making informed decisions (including giving or refusing consent) about medication use.
The NSW Department of Communities and Justice developed a capacity toolkit with information for government and community workers, professionals, families and carers in New South Wales.
The Reducing Use of Sedatives (RedUSe) program promotes quality and appropriate use of sedatives, in particular antipsychotics and benzodiazepines, in residential aged care services in Australia, and assists with reducing use of these medications whenever possible.
Guidance is available to assist providers regarding minimising use of restrictive practices. This includes information on:
- behaviour support and care planning
- consent and decision making
- medication safety
Download fact sheets on topics around minimising the use of restrictive practices:
- Behaviour support plans
- Consent for medication in aged care
- Frequently asked questions about consent
- Overview of restrictive practices
Decision making tools are designed to assist care workers, case managers and staff to promote a restraint free environment.
- Decision-making tool: supporting a restraint-free environment in community aged care
- Decision-making tool: supporting a restraint-free environment in residential aged care
Storyboards and user guides
We have developed a range of storyboards to illustrate key behaviours and priority issues. They can help support people whose English or literacy levels may be a barrier when it comes to accessing content and are relevant to all providers and consumers, their families and representatives across the aged care sector.
- ‘Minimising Restraint – Residential Aged Care Facilities’ storyboard user guide (DOCX, 1.07 MB)
- 'Minimising Restraint in Home Services' storyboard user guide (DOCX, 1.05 MB)
- Dementia Support Australia’s dedicated behaviour support plans, including:
- Restrictive practices scenarios
- Perimeter restraint scenarios infographic
Restrictive Practices and Restraints video
Use of psychotropic medications
We are working to reduce the inappropriate use of medication in aged care. You can find out more and download resources from Better use of medication in aged care project.