Intent of this requirement
All members of the workforce are expected to have an appropriate person regularly evaluate how they are performing their role, and identify, plan for and support any training, and development they need. This requirement looks at how organisations need to regularly assess the performance and the capabilities of the workforce as a whole. Performance reviews can also support continuous improvement and development of the members of the workforce.
- Are there policies and procedures to make sure the organisation monitors each member of the workforce’s duties and responsibilities? What about the workforce’s overall ability to provide safe and quality care and services?
- How does management of the organisation respond when performance reviews find a lack of knowledge, skills and ability in the workforce to deliver care and services against the Standards?
- How does the organisation assess and monitor the performance of members of the workforce who are subcontractors?
Examples of actions and evidence
- Consumers say they are satisfied the workforce providing their care and services perform their roles well.
- The organisation involves consumers with diverse life experiences and characteristics in assessing, monitoring and reviewing the workforce at all levels of the organisation.
Workforce and others
- Members of the workforce can confirm they have had a performance review or have one scheduled.
- Members of the workforce can describe how the organisation’s ongoing assessment of their duties, responsibilities and performance happens. They can describe how this links into their performance development.
- Members of the workforce can describe how they assess the safety and quality of the care and services they deliver. They can also describe how they monitor their own work performance and any areas for further training and support.
- Evidence that the organisation regularly assesses and monitors the performance of members of the workforce. This includes during probation periods.
- Evidence the organisation uses performance assessments to work out training needs. It also uses performance assessments to review duties and responsibilities, and maintain the workforce’s overall ability to provide safe and quality care and services.
- Records or schedules detail the percentage of staff with completed performance reviews and follow up of those who don’t take part.