Our vision is for older Australians to trust and have confidence that aged care services protect and enhance their safety, health and quality of life.
Everyone has the right to safe, compassionate care. We preserve this right and ensure that people who use aged care are treated with dignity and respect.
We're the national end-to-end regulator of aged care services. We're focused on delivering a world-class sector that safeguards the welfare and rights of older Australians.
We invest in engagement and education to:
- build confidence and trust in aged care
- empower people who use aged care
- support providers to understand and comply with their obligations and responsibilities
- promote best-practice care and services.
We're responsible for:
- resolving complaints about services
- approving providers to deliver aged care services
- administering the Serious Incidents Response Scheme
- reducing the use of restrictive practices
- accrediting and monitoring aged care services
- monitoring and assessing providers' compliance with the Aged Care Quality Standards and other obligations
- conducting home care investigations to assess compliance.
Our work is consistent with the Australian Public Service Values, following section 10 of the Public Service Act 1999.
We're apolitical. We give the Australian Government frank, honest and timely advice. We use the best available evidence to provide this advice.
Committed to service
We're professional, objective, innovative and efficient. We're collaborative. We work to achieve the best results for the Australian community and the Government.
We're open and accountable to the Australian community. This applies under the law and within the framework of ministerial responsibility.
We respect all people, including their rights and heritage.
We show leadership. We're trustworthy. We act with integrity in all we do.
ISQua and IEEA accreditations
We're an institutional International Society for Quality in Health Care (ISQua) member. We also participate in their accreditation program.
Our ISQua membership formally recognises that:
- peer reviewers have assessed our performance against international standards
- we meet international best-practice requirements.
The International Society for Quality in Health Care External Evaluation Association (IEEA) is the accreditor of our quality surveyor training program until September 2024.