Quality reviews assess home services against the Aged Care Quality Standards (Quality Standards). The process covers:
- home care services
- Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP) services
- National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Flexible Aged Care Programs (NATSIFACP)
- flexible care services with short-term restorative care in a home care setting.
Quality reviews include:
- an audit of the home service provider's location
- interviews with residents.
We conduct these reviews at least once every 3 years. Afterwards, we prepare:
- a quality audit report
- a performance report.
We give both to the providers. We also publish the reports.
We notify providers about scheduled quality reviews.
If a provider hasn't met the Quality Standards, we're not required to notify them.
When a provider receives the review date, they must inform their residents.
Our Quality Assessors will confirm the visit and show their credentials.
They interview the person in charge and ask them risk-based questions. Industry trends inform the questions.
You can read the most recent list.
Before the review, residents can contact us to provide feedback about their care.
If they ask to meet with an assessor, the provider must allow them to privately meet.
Quality audit report
Within 7 days of the review, our assessors complete the audit report and send it to us.
The report covers the provider's performance against the Quality Standards. This includes any areas for improvement.
The provider receives a copy of the report. This allows them to:
- understand the reasons behind a compliance decision
- respond to the report.
The provider has 14 days to respond in writing. Responses should include:
- information about how they meet the Quality Standards
- actions they've taken (or are planning) to ensure a quality service.
We prepare a performance report within 28 days of receiving the quality audit report.
The performance report considers:
- the quality audit report
- provider responses
- other relevant information.
- an assessment of performance against the Quality Standards
- areas for improvement
- other critical matters.
The provider receives a copy. We also publish performance reports.