We are currently consulting on our draft guidance resources to help providers, aged care workers and other stakeholders to understand the new strengthened Quality Standards and their roles and responsibilities in meeting them.
Visit our consultation page to view the resources and provide your feedback.
About the program
In 2021, the Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety recommended that the Department of Health and Aged Care (the Department) review the Standards.
They recommended that the reviewed Standards include vital areas such as:
- food and nutrition
- clinical care.
The Department conducted consultations, reviewed and revised the draft strengthened Standards. We contributed to the revisions as national aged care services regulator.
The strengthened Quality Standards are expected to be introduced with the commencement of the new Aged Care Act. The existing Standards will remain in effect until then.
To prepare the aged care sector for the upcoming changes, we are implementing the Stronger Standards, Better Aged Care Program.
Through the program, we are:
- changing how we assess the quality of aged care and services
- building awareness and capability in the aged care sector
- simplifying our processes and resources so they are consistent and easy to understand
For more information, read our Stronger Standards, Better Aged Care Program Vision Statement
We are committed to developing resources that support providers and workers to implement the strengthened Standards. This will include guidance documentation, an interactive online guidance tool, online learning modules, webinars and printable content.
Resources for older people receiving care will also be developed. This will include a guidance documentation and printable content.
We are currently consulting on our draft guidance documentation to make sure that they meet the requirements of providers and workers.
In addition to the guidance documents, we are seeking feedback on:
- our draft audit methodology
- our draft evidence framework
- draft guidance for aged care workers
- a pre-audit preparation tool
- a Request for Information template.
You can view the draft documents and provide feedback on our consultation page.
The guidance document for older people receiving care will be available for consultation shortly.
Up to Standard videos
Our Up to Standard video series gives you the latest updates and answers to the most common questions we have received about the strengthened Standards.
- Episode 1: Timing of implementation and the Commission’s role
- Episode 2: Strengthened Standards Pilot Project
We hold webinars to update the sector about our work on the strengthened Standards. Go to the webinar page to register for upcoming webinars or to watch recordings of past events.
To support the sector in understanding the changes to the Standards, we conducted a framework analysis by comparing the current Standards with the draft Standards.
Strengthened Quality Standards pilot
We conducted a pilot project to test:
- how the draft strengthened Standards will be applied in practice
- whether the draft Standards support the delivery of high-quality aged care
- a proposed audit methodology
- the draft assessment grading
- how we can support providers to understand and comply with the strengthened Standards.
The pilot included a sample of 40 providers representative of the aged care sector.
Overall feedback from the participating providers was positive, indicating they found the audit process:
- more transparent,
- easier to understand
- embraced the natural justice process to ensure they could review and comment before compliance decisions are made.
Have your say
We value your questions, suggestions and feedback. We look forward to working together to improve the quality of aged care.
If you have any questions or comments, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.