Accreditation of commencing services lasts for one year.
It’s available for:
- commencing residential services
- commencing flexible care services that contain short-term restorative care (STRC) in a residential care setting.
We class residential services as commencing services when:
- an approved provider has allocated places for the service
- the service hasn’t provided residential care for those places
- the service isn’t currently accredited and hasn’t been in the past.
An STRC service is commencing if:
- the STRC is in a facility where care is through a residential service
- that residential service is a commencing service.
Services aren't commencing if:
- the approved provider has changed
- the location of the service has changed
- the service has closed for renovations.
Applying for accreditation
To apply, approved providers must:
- complete the Application for Accreditation form
- undertake continuous improvement for their service
- pay an application fee
- provide any other information we ask for.
At least 3 months before people enter your service, contact your local Commission office.
We’ll discuss your accreditation and give you the necessary forms.
State Commission offices
New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
South Australia, Northern Territory, Western Australia
The decision process
We’ll decide on accreditation within 14 days of receiving a valid application.
When deciding, we consider:
- the details in the application
- information from the Department of Health and Aged Care
- the provider’s commitment to continuous improvement
- any other relevant information.
Decision to accredit
When accrediting a commencing service, we provide:
- a Certificate of Accreditation
- the reasons for our decision
- areas for improvement
- information about applying for reaccreditation.
We also publish the decision on our website.
Decision not to accredit
If we decide not to accredit a commencing service, we’ll explain the reasons for the decision.
Providers can apply for reconsideration within 14 calendar days of the decision.
Monitoring accredited services
We usually have an assessment contact within 2 months of people moving into the service. We also conduct an unannounced assessment contact in the first 12 months.
Accreditation lasts one year.
Before the period ends, we'll send information about the Re-accreditation of residential services.