Skip to main content

Do you have a concern? brochure

Do you have a concern? brochure cover

Do you have a concern?

Information for consumers of aged care services, their families, carers and representatives about the Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission

“How can the Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission help me?”

We can assist with concerns about the quality of care or services you are receiving from aged care providers funded by the Australian Government. You can also give us feedback about your care to help us when we check a service against quality standards.

You can raise concerns or provide feedback about aged care services you are receiving in an aged care home, or your home, including:

  • Residential care or residential respite care
  • Home Care Packages
  • Commonwealth Home Support Program
  • Flexible care, including Transition Care, and the National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Flexible Aged Care Program.

Your concerns or feedback may relate to any care or services provided to you by the service including personal or clinical care, choice of activities, discrimination, catering, communication or the physical environment.

“Is other support available?”

Advocacy may be able to help you.

An advocate can:

  • provide you with information about your rights and responsibilities
  • help you to raise your issues with us or the service provider
  • support you at any stage during the complaints process.

Advocacy is free, independent and confidential. An advocate will always seek your permission before taking action.

You can call the National Aged Care Advocacy Line on 1800 700 600.

With your permission, we can phone an advocacy agency on your behalf to explain your concerns and arrange for the agency to contact you.

“Who can raise a concern?”

Anyone can raise a concern. We encourage you to raise your concern with the service provider first.

This includes people receiving aged care, partners, family, representatives, friends, advocates, staff and volunteers.

If you are raising a concern about the aged care someone else is receiving, you should make sure the person (or his or her representative) knows about it.

If you cannot resolve your concern with the service provider, you can contact the Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission on 1800 951 822. Our complaints service is free.

We will examine concerns regardless of a person’s cultural background, disability, gender, sex and gender identity, sexual orientation or any other status.

“What happens when I contact the Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission?”

We will explain the process, the resolution options available and what can be achieved.

Our focus is on resolving your concern in the best interest of the person receiving aged care.

Please provide as much information as you can when you contact us. This helps us to understand your issues and expectations.

We will select the options most likely to achieve the best outcome, based on the nature of your concern and the risk to the person receiving care.

In some cases, we will ask the service provider to resolve your concern. We can also use other options, such as conciliation, mediation or investigation.

“Do I need to provide my name?”

No. You can submit your complaint anonymously or confidentially.

However, this can limit what we can do to help, so it is best to submit your concern openly.

We can explain the differences between open, anonymous and confidential complaints when you call. You can also find information about this on our website at

More information

If you are deaf or have a hearing or speech impairment: call 1800 555 677 (National Relay Service) and ask for 1800 951 822.

If you need an interpreter: call 131 450 (Translation and Interpreting Service) and ask for 1800 951 822.

More information about aged care

The My Aged Care website and national contact centre have been established by the Australian Government to help you navigate the aged care system. They can provide you with information on aged care for yourself, a family member, friend or someone you’re caring for.

My Aged Care

T: 1800 200 422


Friday, 5 July 2019 - 9:45am